If you’re an Indian student aspiring to study and practice MBBS in the US and don’t know where to start, then this guide is for you. Here is a list of the entire procedure for taking admission in MBBS in USA for Indian Students.
- Eligibility criteria
Typically in India, admission in MBBS goes by an entrance test which is NEET. MBBS here lasts for 4 to 5 years depending on the university. But for the US, there is no technical MBBS. Students have to enroll for the undergraduate medical program to complete a 4 years bachelors degree or pre-medical degree. The necessary subjects are-
- Chemistry with laboratory courses
- Biology with laboratory courses
- Organic chemistry with laboratory courses
- Statics and calculus
- Physics with laboratory courses
Although the top med schools in the US do not specify the bachelor’s degree that is needed to pursue the undergraduate medical program, many students opt for Pre-medical degree program as it covers the subjects that are needed for med schools in US.
- Appearing for MCAT entrance examination
Medical College Admission Test is a computer based examination which is designed for the entrance into a medical college at bachelor’s level. Only after scoring a virtuous score in MCAT, can you get an admission in a reputable medical school in US. Then comes the admission procedure where you apply to the medical school directly after which they let you know if you got a seat or not. The standard score that is recommended for the students is 80 percentile.
- Applying for US visa
Once you receive a letter of acceptance from the respective university, you can apply for the F-1 visa. Eligibility for applying for F-1 visa are as follows-
- Acceptance from the required university as a student and exchange visitors program, immigration and custom enforcement.
- Enrollment as a full time student in any academic program.
- Language proficiency preferably English.
- Sufficient funds to support your education.
A few documents required for obtaining F-1 visa are as follows-
- Valid passport and previously issued passports(if any)
- Recent passport size photo with a white background
- DS-160 confirmation page with barcode
- HDFC visa application fee receipts
- VFS appointment letter
- SEVIS receipt and I-120
If you’re an Indian student currently planning to pursue MBBS abroad, then these steps will be helpful. The US provides a wide range of job opportunities right after completing a bachelor’s degree. If you’re planning to become a specialist, then you can continue with MD. The US has a lot to offer to young medical practitioners and therefore a lot of opportunities and possibilities.